About a week ago I was lying in bed - awake at around 6am wondering whether I might be starting to feel the baby move. (all the websites say you'll probably start to feeling something between 18 - 20 weeks if it's your first one so I'd been hanging out for the big day).
But as I lay there, I convinced myself that it was more likely that I was simply hungry -- given my rather voracious appetite and desire to eat every few hours.
But within a day or two, there was no mistaking it. Friends had described the first foetal movements to me like a "pop", a "shudder", "butterfly wings" or even a similar feeling to when you poke your tongue against your cheek...but it was really none of these. More like a wee wriggly thing inside me. Alien-esque! But at the same time, very comforting and nice to finally feel the little banana-sized bubba -- after months of not being able to feel anything (except nausea)!
Thankfully, I've been sleeping like a log. That is, when I'm not otherwise up and about for middle-of-the-night trips to the loo (anywhere between 2 and 5 times). I've never been partial to a Nanna-Nap, not like Benjamin who adores the post-lunch siesta. So if I get around 8 to 9 (!) hours of sleep a night, then I'm pretty charged for the rest of the day. After all those seemingly endless weeks of nausea, I'm really grateful that this middle trimester really is proving to be a vibrant and active one.
Swam at the pool again last night -- though having taken a break for 2 weeks, I was ridiculously slow and felt like a bit of a barrel in the water -- and kept getting overtaken by two little brothers around 8 and 10 years old.
Still riding my bike to and from work, and around the neighbourhood. I'm probably the only pregnant woman in Tokyo riding a bike given what a big No-No it is. I'm wonder if I'll start receiving some disapproving frowns once my belly gets even bigger -- but at the moment I feel pretty well-balanced, confident and alert. Not to mention that I'm not riding on the roads at all...just through the park, and on the footpath.
1 comment:
Hi Joh, I didn't realise that you had a blog or (more importantly) that you were pregnant! Congratulations!!!
Post a Comment